Many players have made prominent returns to Broadway: Alexei Kovalev, Petr Nedved, and perhaps most notably, Mark Messier.
While the impending offseason doesn't boast much top-tier former Ranger talent, there are a few names worth mentioning.
Here's the debate: Which, if any, of these former Ranger defensemen would be worth re-signing?
1. Paul Mara - Became a fan and locker room favorite, but not a favorite of Head Coach John Tortorella. The Rangers need a steadying force on defense and his impact on Marc Staal was significant.
2. Kim Jonsson - Perhaps a better player playing on a bad Ranger team. The lanky defenseman can play quality minutes, but isn't necessarily a strong two-way player.
3. Derek Morris - A flash in the pan for the Rangers as a trade deadline deal in 2009, but New York did consider re-signing the veteran defenseman with the big shot.
4. Jason Strudwick - The Rangers needed a 6th/7th defenseman and they got that when the acquired Anders Erikkson. Strudwick, a two-time Ranger already, was well liked and was a good veteran presence.
5. Mike Mottau - A Ranger draft choice that simply never made the cut. Could play in the third pairing, perhaps second depending on what choices the Rangers make this offseason.
Let's leave the list at five for now.