We’ll be trying a new Monday-Friday feature on BB this
season to keep you abreast of the latest developments around the National
Here’s a look at what’s making headlines today:
- Tom Sestito was suspended
for the Flyers’ final two preseason games and two regular season games for
his blatant board of Andre Deveaux during Wednesday night’s contest. Sestito likely avoided a harsher punishment
because he’s a first-time offender, a criterion that has played a major role in
the six other suspensions doled out by NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan so
far this fall.
- Chris Pronger’s recovery from back surgery has been a slow
process, but he
should be ready to start the season.
- The man that threw a banana at Wayne Simmonds last week has been
- St. Louis Blue Jason Arnott will be out seven
days after having eye surgery yesterday.
- Florida Panthers center Mike Santorelli will be out for a
while with a shoulder injury, which could possibly open
the door for 2011 third-overall pick Jonathan Huberdeau to make the team.
- After the Toronto Maple Leafs failed to land Brad Richards,
they settled on ex-Sabre Tim Connolly to bolster their offense and upgrade
their power play. Connolly had shown the
ability to be a point-per-game player, but he’s had a very tough time staying
healthy. The season hasn’t even started
yet and Connolly is already out with an
upper-body injury and is listed as day-to-day.
- Another Toronto forward, top prospect Nazem Kadri, will miss three-to-four weeks
with a sprained knee.
- Former Rangers’ prospect Roman Horak, traded along with two
second-round picks to the Calgary Flames with Tim Erixon, has been a pleasant
surprise for Calgary in September. Horak was ticketed for the AHL, but he’s survived two rounds of cuts so
far and has been moving up the depth chart. There’s an outside chance he makes the team.
- The Detroit Red Wings expect Niklas Kronwall to fill the
void created when Brian Rafalski suddenly retired this summer. Kronwall has always been a heavy hitter, but
he’s going to have to produce more offensively. Detroit apparently has a lot of faith that Kronwall will step up; the Red Wings
are already negotiating a long-term contract extension with him.
- Red Wings prospect Brendan Smith will probably be the latest
player to hear from Brendan Shanahan after this
hit on Ben Smith last night.
- Danny Cleary will miss
the rest of the preseason with an upper-body injury, but should be alright
to start the year.
- Sidney Crosby is definitely heading in the right direction,
but it’s still unlikely that he’ll be ready for the season opener. Crosby is expected
to travel with the Penguins to Vancouver though, so get ready for a lot of
“will he or won’t he play” conversations.
- The Washington Capitals re-signed Jason Chimera to a two-year,
$3.5 million contract extension.
- Check out Bodog’s over/under
point projections for the 2011-2012 season. Bodog has the Rangers at 94.5.
- Anze Kopitar scored
a hat trick in preseason action last night.
- You’ll soon see numbers
on players’ helmets.
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
9/29/11 – Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux
here for our full Summer 2011 Archive >
Follow us on Twitter (@NYRBlueBulletin and @kevinbaumer) and on Facebook.