We’ll be trying a new Monday-Friday feature on BB this
season to keep you abreast of the latest developments around the National
Here’s a look at what’s making headlines today:
- The Los Angeles Kings and Drew Doughty finally reached a
contract agreement and Doughty
re-signed for eight-years, $57 million. Doughty, 21, held out longer than the Kings probably anticipated and in
the end Los Angeles had no choice but to fold. GM Dean Lombardi has insisted he wouldn’t go higher than the $6.8
million annual value of center Anze Kopitar’s contract, but faced with the
prospect of starting the season without his star defenseman Lombardi upped his
offer. Shea Weber is probably
quite pleased about this news.
- Viktor Stalberg will miss the
next two-to-three weeks after suffering a leg injury on Wednesday night.
Injuries to Stalberg and Ben Smith could
allow Brandon Saad to sneak into the lineup. Saad would be a rare second-round pick that
jumps straight to the NHL.
- Brendan Smith was suspended for three preseason and five regular season games for his hit on Ben Smith on Wednesday night.
- Steven Stamkos is in tremendous shape. TSN.ca’s Darren Dreger reports,
“3 summers ago Stamkos was squatting 185lbs in reps. This summer Gary Roberts
had him working cycles using 400 and 450 lbs. Strength + speed.”
- Jaromir Jagr scored
the game-winning goal for the Flyers last night, his fourth in three
games. Martin Brodeur, for one, is
impressed: "He’s still got it. It’s pretty amazing to see him after a
few years out of the league."
- Detroit Red Wings’ owner Mike Illitch says that NHL Commissioner
Gary Bettman made “a promise” that Detroit will
be in the Eastern Conference next season.
- Florida Panthers’ goalie Scott Clemmensen will miss time
after going a minor knee procedure and that means that Jacob Markstrom, the top
goalie prospect in hockey, will
open the year as Florida’s No. 2.
- Steve Staios signed a
one-year-deal with the New York Islanders.
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
– Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux >
9/30/11 – Kings Lock Doughty Up With Huge Deal >
here for our full Summer 2011 Archive >
Follow us on Twitter (@NYRBlueBulletin and @kevinbaumer) and on Facebook.