The Bulletin Board keeps you abreast of the latest news
around the NHL Monday-Friday.
- After a 6-7-0 start the St. Louis Blues fired
Coach Davis Payne and replaced him with Ken Hitchcock. Hitchcock was rumored to be heading to
Columbus, but the Blue Jackets didn’t fire Scott Arniel even after Friday’s 9-2
walloping at the hands of the Philadelphia Flyers. St. Louis has played nine of its first 13
games on the road, so Payne apparently had an extremely short leash. But rather than wait and risk losing the
chance to get Hitchcock, the Blues asked for permission to speak with him
yesterday and the deal came together within hours.
- Mark Messier completed the New York City Marathon in
4:14:27 yesterday. That was a 9:43
per mile pace for the 50-year-old.
- Philadelphia absolutely destroyed the floundering Blue
Jackets on Saturday 9-2. The Flyers jumped out to an 8-0 lead before
easing up. Eight different Flyers scored
in the tilt while defenseman Erik Gustafsson was a plus-6 and Matt Carle was a
plus-5. The defeat was the third
eight-goal loss in Columbus history.
- Boston defeated Toronto 7-0 on Saturday to give the
defending champions their first
two-game winning streak of the season.
- Did you think the Taylor Hall vs. Tyler Seguin debate had
been decided after just one season?
career hat trick on Saturday gave him seven goals and seven assists this
season while Hall has three goals and six assists. Seguin had just 22
points as a rookie but is on pace to shatter that total this season.
- Dallas became the first team to 10 wins with yesterday’s 5-2
victory over Carolina.
- St. Louis thought it had found its franchise goalie last
summer when the Blues snagged Jaroslav Halak from the Montreal Canadiens. But, so far this season Halak has been shaky
and Ottawa cast-off Brian Elliot has carried the load. On Friday, Elliot picked up his fifth
win in his last six starts.
- Steven Stamkos’ hat
trick propelled Tampa Bay to a 5-4 OT victory over Chicago on Friday.
- Matt Duchene had played so poorly this season that Colorado
moved him to left wing for Friday’s game.
Duchene responded with his first
career hat trick. Duchene was thrilled
to get the early season monkey off his back and will
remain at left wing for now.
- Buffalo backup goalie Jhonas Enroth has not
lost in 2011. Enroth is 10-0-1 with
a 2.21 GAA and a .927 save percentage in the calendar year. Enroth is also 8-0-2 in
his last 10 road starts.
- Patrik Elias has been the best New Jersey Devil in the early
going. Elias has at least
a point in 10 of the Devils’ 12 games and has six goals and 11 assists in
- Eric Staal has five points in 14 games and is an awful minus-16.
- Seguin and Sheldon Souray are the NHL's leaders in plus/minus. Each is a plus-10.
- Jonas Hiller’s “Movember” goalie mask has nothing
on Tim Thomas’s.
- If you remember, Bobby Clarke was none too pleased with Eric
Lindros leading up to his big trade to the New York Rangers. But both Clarke and Lindros, who haven’t
spoken in 10 years, are
ready to move on and want to be cordial at the Winter Classic alumni game.
- Former NHL enforcer Georges Laraque wrote a book, "The Story
of the NHL's Unlikeliest Tough Guy," that is causing a bit of a stir in
the hockey community. Laraque makes
accusations about steroid usage and critiqued Wayne Gretzky as a coach, which
led to a
heated exchange between Laraque and Darren Pang on Twitter.
- Here’s Elliotte Friedman’s “30
- Here’s NBC Sports’ first promo for
the first ever Thanksgiving Showdown.
- There are two games on the schedule
tonight. Islanders @ Bruins will be
on Versus at 7:00 p.m.
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
– Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux >
– Kings Lock Doughty Up With Huge Deal >
– Former Rangers’ Prospects Grachev And Horak Make NHL Clubs >
– Steve Valiquette Is The New Goalie Coach At Quinnipiac University >
– Waiving Of Avery Could Wreak Havoc On The Stars’ Salary Cap Situation >
– Hockey Is Back >
– Jagr Picks Up Point #1,600 In Flyers’ Season-Opening Victory >
– Early Goalie Controversy In Washington? >
Prospal Scores Again For Columbus >
– Pittsburgh Rolling Without Crosby And Malkin >
– Sidney Crosby Cleared For Contact >
– Aaron Asham Is The Talk Of The League >
– Mark Messier Will Run The New York City Marathon >
– Colorado Wins Fifth-Straight Road Game, Leads Western Conference >
– New-look Flyers Off To Fast Start >
- Kessel Carrying The Leafs >
- Dale Weise Scores First NHL Goal >
– Vancouver Acquires David Booth >
- Jagr Scores First Two Goals Of The Season >
- Columbus Finally Wins >
– Montreal Fires Former Rangers’ Assistant Coach Perry Pearn >
– Philadelphia And Winnipeg Combine For 17 Goals!? >
- Edmonton And Ottawa Riding Surprising Hot Streaks >
– Chicago’s Stanley Cup Hangover Is In The Past >
- Ovechkin Benched >
– Brodeur Now Tied For Most Losses In NHL History >
- Predators Lock Up Pekka Rinne >
11/7/11 – Blues Fire Payne, Bring In Hitchcock >
here for our full 2011-2012 Season Archive >
Follow us on Twitter (@NYRBlueBulletin and @kevinbaumer) and on Facebook.