The Bulletin Board keeps you abreast of the latest news
around the NHL Monday-Friday.
- If there was any doubt that Sidney Crosby would be as good
as ever after sitting out for nearly a year with a concussion, Crosby erased it
last night. He put up two goals and two
assists in a virtuoso performance and looked terrific all night. Crosby’s first
goal came on his third shift,
just 5:24 into the game. It was Crosby’s
four-point effort and sixth against the Islanders. In the process, Crosby jumped up 243 spots in
the NHL scoring race. Perhaps the most
impressive aspect of Crosby’s game was his speed, which seemed to be much
- Edmonton defenseman Ryan Whitney summarized the reaction of
the hockey world with this Tweet,
“’yup, this leagues still a joke for me.’ -Sidney Crosby 4 minutes into first
- In Crosby’s last 82 games, dating back to January 3 2010, he
- Crosby’s first goal represented the fifth time this season
the New York Islanders surrendered a goal on the
first shot by their opponent.
- Only six Islanders have more
points than Crosby this season. The
Islanders have scored just 35 goals
in 18 games.
- Marc-Andre Fleury’s shutout was overshadowed by Crosby’s
return, but it was the 21st of Fleury’s career and puts him just one
behind Tom Barrasso for Pittsburgh’s franchise record.
- Zbynek Michalek also returned
to Pittsburgh’s lineup after sitting out since the end of October with a
- Columbus beat Calgary 4-1 for the team’s first back-to-back
42 tries. Vinny Prospal picked up
three assists in the contest for the
first time since February 12, 2007.
Jeff Carter also scored
twice for the Blue Jackets.
- Florida came back from three goals down to upend New Jersey
4-3. The Panthers are now just two
points behind Pittsburgh for the
Eastern Conference lead. Stephen
Weiss picked up three points for the third time this week and fourth time this
season. Previously, Weiss had just
three three-point efforts in his last 123 games.
- The Bruins won their ninth consecutive game as Tim Thomas
shutout Montreal 1-0.
- Dallas snapped a five-game losing streak with a 4-1 victory
- Washington also ended a four-game losing streak with a 4-3
victory over Phoenix. Coach Bruce
Boudreau made Alex Semin a
healthy scratch for the game.
- Carolina sophomore Jeff Skinner undressed
Philadelphia defenseman Kimmo Timonen en route to a goal as the Hurricanes
beat the Flyers 4-2.
- The Philadelphia Flyers unveiled their Winter Classic
jerseys yesterday. Check them out here and here.
- Scott Gomez has no
explanation for his 48-game goal-scoring drought.
- Former Ranger Jason Strudwick has joined Sodertalje of the Swedish second league.
- Buffalo defenseman Tyler Myers underwent surgery to repair a
broken wrist and will be
out at least a month.
- Toronto center Matthew Lombardi is out with a dislocated shoulder and may need surgery.
- Hockey’s Future released the final
installment of its prospect organizational rankings. Florida came in at No. 1.
- Now it sounds like Wayne Gretzky won’t
play in the Winter Classic alumni game.
- The NHL was founded
94 years ago today.
- There are three games on the schedule
tonight. Los Angeles @ St. Louis
will be on Versus at 7:30 p.m.
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
– Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux >
– Kings Lock Doughty Up With Huge Deal >
– Former Rangers’ Prospects Grachev And Horak Make NHL Clubs >
– Steve Valiquette Is The New Goalie Coach At Quinnipiac University >
– Waiving Of Avery Could Wreak Havoc On The Stars’ Salary Cap Situation >
– Hockey Is Back >
– Jagr Picks Up Point #1,600 In Flyers’ Season-Opening Victory >
– Early Goalie Controversy In Washington? >
Prospal Scores Again For Columbus >
– Pittsburgh Rolling Without Crosby And Malkin >
– Sidney Crosby Cleared For Contact >
– Aaron Asham Is The Talk Of The League >
– Mark Messier Will Run The New York City Marathon >
– Colorado Wins Fifth-Straight Road Game, Leads Western Conference >
– New-look Flyers Off To Fast Start >
- Kessel Carrying The Leafs >
- Dale Weise Scores First NHL Goal >
– Vancouver Acquires David Booth >
- Jagr Scores First Two Goals Of The Season >
- Columbus Finally Wins >
– Montreal Fires Former Rangers’ Assistant Coach Perry Pearn >
– Philadelphia And Winnipeg Combine For 17 Goals!? >
- Edmonton And Ottawa Riding Surprising Hot Streaks >
– Chicago’s Stanley Cup Hangover Is In The Past >
- Ovechkin Benched >
– Brodeur Now Tied For Most Losses In NHL History >
- Predators Lock Up Pekka Rinne >
– Blues Fire Payne, Bring In Hitchcock >
– Boston Is Back >
– Blues Cruise In Hitchcock’s Return >
– Bizarre Scene In Tampa Bay >
– The Blue Jackets Are Awful >
– Milan Lucic Gives Ryan Miller A Concussion >
– Lucic Avoids Suspension For Hit On Miller >
– Malkin And Duchene Trade Beautiful Goals >
– Jhonas Enroth Finally Sputters >
– The Blues Are 4-0-1 Under Ken Hitchcock >
– Crosby Returns >
11/22/11 – The Sidney Crosby Show >
here for our full 2011-2012 Season Archive >
Follow us on Twitter (@NYRBlueBulletin and @kevinbaumer) and on Facebook.